High school students learning with the world's English experts will:
- develop their ability to use and understand English in an academic context
- learn the skills and language required for success in school and university preparation exams
- interact with a variety of texts such as essays, lectures, graphs and charts
- enhance their ability to write texts of an academic nature such as research reports and discursive essays
- gain the confidence to perform academic tasks such as delivering presentations, discussing case studies and chairing debates
The course for high school students develops the ability to use and understand English in an academic context. As well as improving general English competence, the course focuses on the skills and language required for success in school and university preparation exams such as IELTS.
Each five-month semester is divided into four-week sessions in which students learn the language and skills needed to perform communicative tasks in speaking and writing. Tasks include giving presentations, writing reports and essays, and describing statistical information such as graphs and tables.
Each session is based on a topic with an academic focus such as Science and Nature, Technology, and Art and Literature in order to motivate the learners and help them use language for a variety of purposes in a variety of situations.
In addition to ongoing classroom assessment, students are evaluated on their ability to complete two communicative tasks per session whilst also being encouraged to reflect on their own learning and identify personal goals for future development.
English for High School Students uses materials developed specifically for Korean learners in addition to the course books Unlock – Listening & Speaking Skills and Unlock – Reading & Writing Skills. The materials we have developed address common challenges that Korean high school learners face and provide skills and strategies that enable fluent and natural language use in an English school environment.